Incredible opportunities: we are seeking a new Chair and Trustees
International Service is recruiting Trustees to help International Service grow, innovate and have an even greater impact on more people across the globe.
Who we are
International Service is a York based charity that empowers women, children and young people, and people with disabilities to access their rights. Since 1953 we have been protecting and promoting the rights of some of the most marginalised people throughout the world including the UK. We strengthen the skills and knowledge of local organisations increasing the impact of their work and their ability to advocate for positive, sustainable change in line with the Global Goals. We also offer volunteer opportunities for young people to work on our projects overseas via the International Citizen Service.
Who are we looking for?
International Service is seeking a Chair with the skills and experience to effectively lead our growing, talented Board of Trustees as they support the organisation’s growth into new countries, innovative new programming and increased impact against the Global Goals.
You’ll be as passionate about human rights as you are about good governance, and have a proven track record in leadership. You’ll also be comfortable representing International Service at events, conferences and in the media.
We’re also keen to recruit a diverse range of Trustees ideally with skills, significant experience and qualifications specifically in Volunteering, Contracting, Fundraising (community and institutional), Human Resource Management, Finance, Legal, and of course International Development.
Our Board of Trustees make decisions which impact upon the lives of women, children and young people and people with disabilities across the globe. You’ll help us grow, innovate, and decide where and how we operate.
You will need to:
- be an expert in your field
- share our belief that positive and lasting change happens when people are able to secure and protect their rights
- understand and relish the challenges facing charities at an exciting and fast-changing period for international development.
Our Trustees primary role is to:
- Ensure that the organisation achieves its stated aims and objectives
- Support the organisation in the strategic planning, overall management and governance of the charity
- Hold the CEO and the senior management team to account for the delivery of organisational strategies, objectives, mission and vision
- Ensure the board functions effectively and is able to support the CEO
The Specific Role of the Chair:
- Providing leadership for the Trustee Board in their role of reviewing and approving strategy and providing oversight of the Charity’s activities and Governance.
- Setting the annual cycle of Board meetings, Away days and Board development
- Setting agendas for Board meetings, in liaison with the CEO
- Chairing Board meetings, and monitoring that decisions approved are implemented
- Representing the Charity at events and meetings as required
- Liaising with the CEO to have an overview of activities, providing support as appropriate
- Appraising the performance of the CEO, and Trustees
- Ensuring the CEO receives effective, timely support from the Trustees
- Chairing the Appointment and Disciplinary panels
Further information can be found here ‘Role of Trustee/What to Expect’
How to apply
To apply please submit an expression of interest to Michael Dockar, Deputy Chief Executive at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Monday 20 February.
Your expression of interest should briefly explain why you are interested in the role, and outline what skills, knowledge and experience you would bring as a Trustee to our Board. Expressions of interest need not be longer than 2 sides of A4, or, in a video format of up to 3 minutes long. Video submission can be emailed, or hosted online.
Help to deliver even more projects like this sexual health session for teenage boys in Ghana